It is now almost 20 years since our transition to Chinese sovereignty, and so much has changed.
- What was a city ordered by the rule of law has given way to the rule of man. The whims of one person can now over-ride the laws, rules and regulations and proper procedures of old. Absolute obedience is now the creed, and dire consequences to the health of the community be damned.
- What used to be a government which respected public opinion has become a government which ignores it and rides roughshod over it.
- What used to be a peaceful and rational community has become one that is torn apart by violence and continuous confrontation.
- What used to be an efficient, self-directed and disciplined civil service has become a distressed political tool.
- What used to be free and autonomous universities worthy of their names have become so intimidated that they would not even dare come out and defend “critical and independent thinking”.
- What used to pro active and upright mass media organizations have become easily manipulated instruments of the government.